For roman characters' lyrics of "Subaru", go to my previous post here

Saturday, July 02, 2005

The Way/ 道


hew my way / 道を切り開く
Originally uploaded by Kanko'.
This letter "do" as in Bushido is also the same letter as the Chinese's Tao.

Both means "The Way."

I don't know if it's destiny but Mrs. Wakako, an elderly lady living along in my condominium happenned to walk my way today. I was just finished my sword training and was on my way back to my room.

I heard she used to give classical drawing instruction, so I took this as a perfect opportunity to ask her. I don't know whether she's still teaching, given her age.

As luck or destiny would have it, she still does. Or at least she accepted me as her student! She's a kind lady, complimenting me for having many useful hobbies. I quickly, humbly pointed out that it's just part of my study. And I barely started all this.

Anyway, next Sunday morning, I'm to show up in her unit to take my very first lesson. It's both scenary painting and calligraphy, I understand.

She is also kind enough to help me with my broken Japanese. Wonderful, now I have a grandmotherly figure to educate me in the classical tradition of life!

Now if only I could study Ikebana (flower arrangement) and Chanoyu (tea ceremony), then one could say I have a well-rounded training of a samurai!

My life always presents me with many interesting turns. Twenty plus years ago I was an exchange student briefly in Japan, studying Japanese literature & drama (in English) at Sophia University. At that time I was drawn to the Noh play the most. I did my term paper on that. At that time I didn't know why i chose it over a more colorful Kabuki or Bunraku (puppet show) or others.

Now I know. Noh is pretty much identified with Buddhism philosophy and the samurai class. Twenty years later, I got into meditation. Shortly afterwards, I was doing my Ph.D. on it, trying to prove that meditation is pretty much good for the society as for the individual.

For one reason or another, my study on mindfulness meditataion brought me closer and closer to Zen, and then Bushido.

Then destiny brought me to see an announcement for samurai sword meditation class, Batto-Jutsu.

All the time, I was starting my Japanese language course.

And now, in a bright Saturday afternoon, I walked into my future calligraphy teacher....

Life has always been unfolding an interesting turn for me...indeed!

Can't wait to see what's up next as I continue to walk down this...Path!

Comments:
excellent! khun nash's person who call "phenomenon" i don't know can i use this word.i ihink you are wonderwoman.bye bye ka! :-)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?