For roman characters' lyrics of "Subaru", go to my previous post here

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Kissing the Trophy


I guess we all seem to think nothing of it when we see athletes kissing their trophy after winning a tournament. In fact, I would say that we all assume that it is even expected. A rule rather than an exception. A mandatory pose for the press? May be.

I was one of those who used to think like that too, until today, when I lifted up my own trophy to kiss. No, I'm not an athlete and it was not a grand slam tournament I was winning. But, for that very moment, I thought I finally got to understand why those athletes act the way they do.

It was the moment of total exhiliration. I felt so happy beyond words. I could not remember the last time I felt like that. Must be more than 20 years ago when I was in high school when we were winning the national championship quiz? Well, but at that time, I did not get to receive the trophy myself, my school principal did. I only got some kind of pin. But I think the happiness was similar.

And may be that makes today's event even more special. Not that I've never won anything. With other scholarship or student exchange program, you don't get into this kind of competitive environment, and, of course, there was no trophy.

So, after the formalities were done and I was alone on the stage, I must admit that I could not resist the urge of lifting up my trophy to kiss it a la French Open! That drew some laughs from the crowd who did not expect such a scene at the end of a Japanese speech contest!

Now they are having the Trophy engraved with my name and they will let me know later when it is ready. I don't know if anyone caught the moment I was kissing the trophy on camera. Will have to ask them later.

Today's total exhiliration reminds me of two similar lessons. First, from my mother. She told me today after congratulating me on the phone that I should not let success carrying me away, and that I should always remain humbled and grateful to everyone who has helped me come this far, such as the kind teachers who have corrected my speech.

Second, I think about what I used to read while doing literature review for my dissertation. Somewhere I read that a good samurai should always remain humbled and strive to do better all the time and never let the praise carried him away. I must tell my mom some day that she sounds like a samurai's mother all right! hee hee hee Anyway, what i means is that virtues are the same everywhere, the very essence of it.

I will go to meditate in Chiangmai tomorrow for a week. Meanwhile, I will give all my prize money to my mother as I planned earlier. After all, I have come this far in life because of her! And of course, I will dedicate the merit from this meditation retreat in Chiangmai to HM the King also.

Last, but not at all least, I am sure both my great-grandpa and great-great grandpa would be happy today if they were here. I will also dedicate my merit from this meditation retreat to them. I thought a lot about them today. Not only because my speech was about them, but also because I silently asked for their mental support! They were my inspiration related to going to Japan this time, actually. And I guess my prayer was heard...somehow.

Jaa, mina-sama. Go-seichoo, doomo arigatoo gozaimashita!


DSC00596

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?