For roman characters' lyrics of "Subaru", go to my previous post here

Friday, July 07, 2006

Another Dream Comes True: So Fast



This must be one of my golden years. I start to lose counts of the blessings I have been receiving this year already. I should remind myself of Lord Buddha's teaching about impermanence. I should also remind myself of my true goal in life, to attain Enlightenment and to get away from it all. Once and for all, and not to return ever again.

Not even it means to enjoy myself and have so much fun as I'm having right now!

Anyway, my next dream that's about to take place in less than two weeks is to go back to 15th century Japan to be part of the samurai army taking part in a battle rehearsal! How awesome! I could not have wanted a better preparation for my upcoming 3-month visit in October for my Ph.D. research on Tokugawa samurai than this. Finally, after training in different type of sword techniques and sword fights for a year and a half, I'll get to be a real samurai!

Now if I could i only find time to brush up on my horse-riding skills before going to Japan this time it would be really perfect.... But, hey, you'd never know. It has been my golden year so far. Anything is possible. And even if i don't get to practice at all, I have a feeling I would be able to communicate with the horse to some degree while i'm there. The usual prayer of giving the loving-kindness (metta) to all creatures always works. I have no doubt about that.

Sensei did not say much about the detail about this visit. But I know he has planned to take us for a duel at our Dojo over there. And many more. I'm really looking forward to that! Oh, living a life of a young samurai in training following a sword teacher around is so much fun! We would also visit the castle of the general whose life inspired the movie, "The Last Samurai." Like I said, what could i ask for more? It's almost i am seeing my dissertation unveiling itself right in front of my eyes! Isn't it nice to be able to literally walk through each chapter and breath in, drinking in everything around you?

However, I couldn't help but taking a sneak preview of what might be on offer there. On the Japanese local government web site, this is what i found.

History : Traditional Festivals: "Soma-Nomaoi Festival (Soma City, Haramachi City, Odaka Town and others) - July 23 to 25
Dating back 1,000 years, this festival has been handed down in places that once belonged to the Soma clan. It spectacularly recreates the atmosphere of the Warring States Period (1467-1568). Some 500 horsemen in samurai costumes scramble for shrine flags, which are shot into the air with a burst of fireworks. Overseas, this event is considered to be one of Japan's most representative festivals. "

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?