Friday, July 14, 2006
Would I make it to the World Championship?

This year my life is a little bit weird. I mean, on the positive side! I get to do many things I never, ever dreamed of! Now, as we are approaching mid-year, it gets even more interesting. In fact, it couldn't even get any more interesting when my Sensei casually mentioned to me recently that he actually registered me for the upcoming World Championship Tournament of Channbara in Japan this November!!
Me?? A life-long geek? Going for a World championship title of one of the fastest-paced, weaponed martial arts? You've gotta be kidding!
But sensei was not kidding. In fact, he even told me to prepare a thesis on "Why I Practice Chanbara" and "The State of Mind of the 1st Dan," and submit it to him in a few days' time. But wait a minute, 1st Dan is a...Black Belt!?!
Yes, sensei wants me to try not only for the black belt exam, but for the instructor's exam. And his school is probably the strictest of all sects. This is the first time in my whole life that I hear that you have to write a thesis as a part of black belt exam! And the topic is even more difficult than my Ph.D. dissertation! The State of Mind of someone entering the 1st Dan? Gee, just to think how I would start is sort of difficult already. This ain't gonna be your typical term-paper, believe me!
Today we had a group of visitors from a local school. After session, we wiped the floor of our Dojo together. It was fun but very tiring. But what we got was the feeling of togetherness and unity! And good training for our body, too! It is also a very good way to let off your steam. I also think it trains you well to take care of your home and not minding tedious job. I lost counts how many time I actually fell flat on the floor next to the kindergarten kids because the floor was very slippery. But I simply got up to continue what I had to do. This is a very good training for me!
I'm going to Japan very soon for this Samurai festival before going into Tokyo. And I'm also going to see my advisor at Waseda for the first time! Very excited! He is going to represent Japan in the upcoming World Congress of Sociology in South Africa to present a paper on Social Inequality in Asia.
That's about it for today. I love the day I have my samurai sword training. I wish I could do it everyday. Hey, may be I should consider doing it for a living after I graduate! My dissertation is related to that anyway. Not bad. hmmm.
Kangaete mimasu!


