Saturday, January 08, 2005
Japanese Society & Culture--Book Review
Finally, my dissertation-online project starts to take shape! hee hee hee
Well, actually I've done a philosophy book review in my Philosophy blog (now renamed "Theory") a big while ago. But that's more for my Philosophy class. Now is a bit more unique since I'm doing it on my own(!). Hard to believe indeed for a lazy student just like me!
Anyway, I finished the first chapter of this book today.

What concerned me about this book is the author seems to just pool together her research at different time togeter and make a book out of it. It's like a span of her teaching & research career.
So what got me worried was the date when the first chapter was researched on. The references at the end of chapter were dated from the late 50s to early 70s (!!). Most fall in the late 60s. Gee...I really don't know,....
Anyway the first chapter is on "The Mind & Soul of Japanese People" and it talks mainly about the country's history, background on Shinto, its value and its influence on the modern day Japanese people.
Well, I don't know what the author means when she says, "modern day Japanese" if she is quoting from a 40-year-old references!
I sound particularly mean tonight, eh? Well, may be I'll come back and talk more about it later. It's a little chapter but I'm happy anyway to get over with it and on with my blogging to keep a record for future quotes in my dissertation!
Oyasuminasai, minna-san.
Well, actually I've done a philosophy book review in my Philosophy blog (now renamed "Theory") a big while ago. But that's more for my Philosophy class. Now is a bit more unique since I'm doing it on my own(!). Hard to believe indeed for a lazy student just like me!
Anyway, I finished the first chapter of this book today.

What concerned me about this book is the author seems to just pool together her research at different time togeter and make a book out of it. It's like a span of her teaching & research career.
So what got me worried was the date when the first chapter was researched on. The references at the end of chapter were dated from the late 50s to early 70s (!!). Most fall in the late 60s. Gee...I really don't know,....
Anyway the first chapter is on "The Mind & Soul of Japanese People" and it talks mainly about the country's history, background on Shinto, its value and its influence on the modern day Japanese people.
Well, I don't know what the author means when she says, "modern day Japanese" if she is quoting from a 40-year-old references!
I sound particularly mean tonight, eh? Well, may be I'll come back and talk more about it later. It's a little chapter but I'm happy anyway to get over with it and on with my blogging to keep a record for future quotes in my dissertation!
Oyasuminasai, minna-san.


