For roman characters' lyrics of "Subaru", go to my previous post here

Saturday, September 01, 2007

Tokugawa Ieyasu's Death Poem

Well, I tried to use all the Japanese knowledge I have (which is not much) to locate this jisei no ku that I need for my dissertation. Here it is:

徳川家康 75歳 1616
嬉しやと 二度さめて 一眠り うき世の夢は 暁の空

Source: http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~kazu310/jisei3.htm

And this is my humble attempt at translating it. Many dictionaries were used,
both real dictionary, electronic dictionary and online dictionary. But, mind you,
I'm just a novice student of Japanese language. So, there could be many mistakes.

I just go with my guts feeling and my understanding of Dhamma and my
familiarity of other warrior's death poem, that's all!

“Twice awakened, how pleasant it is.
A dream in the world of impermanence is like a dawning sky.”


That reminds me that I haven't composed my death poem yet!

But I sort of like what I used to read from one warrior, whose quote I must
track down one day. He said, "A death is a death. One should not make too much fuss
over it." I think he was referring to the over-emphasis on the death poem during Tokugawa Period where everything sort of went out of context and sometimes lost its original meaning.

I think he is right. But, well, I might try mine any way Wouldn't hurt, would it? Would serve as a good Morananussati for me everyday! At least until I could come up with the version that I like, provided that I don't die first!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?