Friday, September 15, 2006
Banzai!

Photo from Maininichi Shimbun. For more photos on how Japan reacts to the arrival of baby prince, visit Mainichi Photobank at http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/photospecials/graph/060906newprince/
There have been many causes for celebrations lately, ne?
First, there was the Imperial Birth of HRH Prince Hisahito (悠仁様のご出産)。
Then, my LASIK was a success despite some postoperative pain. Now I have a super clear vision with no need for glasses or contact lenses. Well, at least until I get old enough to need a reading glass, that is!
And now, today, Thursday, September 14, 2006, I passed my blackbelt exam in Spochan! いよいよ一段になりました 。 すごい! I got both my First Dan certificate and Class A Instructor's certificate in Kodachi (小太刀) or short sword today from sensei after performing Kihon Dosa Kata twice and surviving the grueling 30 rounds of fight non-stop with an upper-class First Dan who happened to hold be the 2005 Asian Champion!
At the moment of this writing, the knuckles on both my hands are still hurting royally, if I may use the expression. But I put on sensei's pain-relieving cream from Japan already tonight. He gave me several months ago after I was nursing an injury from Kenjutsu during a bokuto (木刀) or wooden sword practice with the hard-hitting guys.
Actually I noticed my pain right after the fight and went to look for the mircle cure in Sensei's gym bag. But as Murphy's Law would have it (if things could go wrong, they would go wrong), today, of all those days, sensei forgot to bring his wonder spray from Japan that he normally brings to help alleviate pain from fighting injury. But I'm not complaining. My adrenaline (and perhaps Cortisol too) was running high at that time! But now, ....ouch! hee hee hee
My Instructor's License says I'm number 4629 in the world who are qualified to teach the Kodachi or short sword. In the solemn awarding ceremony that followed the exam, sensei also bestowed on me a short wooden sword together with the instructor's license. I was, in fact, more proud of the instructor's license than the First Dan's Black Belt (the belt was put neatly on the framed certificate) because I felt I earned it through my year of diligent work with sensei and the kids. It was fun being with them and watched them grow and learning together with them and from them. They taught me a lot, actually, the kids.
If there is anything I could wish for today, I wish my Great Grandpa, Major Luang Charoonridhikrai would be with me today. He would be very proud of me, I think. For he, a graduate of 2 Japanese military colleges, were known to love Budo or Japanese martial arts. Oh, how I would like to run to him and say, "Great Grandpa, Great Grandpa, look what I earned today!" I don't know what his reaction would be.
Being a stern man, may be he would not show any feelings, like a good samurai should be. May be he would just tell me to try to compose myself and stop jumping up and down! hee hee hee Or may be he would give me tips on how to be a good fighter and how to tolerate pain. I don't know. I only know I miss him today.
Well, Great Grandpa, no matter where you are today. Please know that you are being thought of fondly and with respect. You are and always will be my hero, my link to the distant past of our family history. My reference point. And my continuous awe at how destiny has somehow bonded us together in more ways than one.
And, Great Grandpa, I know I just started to follow your footstep and this is just a First Dan and I'm nowhere as good as you once were. But, from the bottom of my heart, this one is for you!


