For roman characters' lyrics of "Subaru", go to my previous post here

Thursday, April 21, 2005

Learning to be a Samurai


I went to my second Samurai Sword Technique/ Zen Meditation class last Thursday. My sensei is very kind and patient with a slower learner like me. I learned more moves, both with and without sword. Sensei stressed the importance of using one's inner strength, not brutal force, to overcome the opponent.

It is, after all, a mind game.

My moves with the sword is swifter and in some case smoother. I got bruises on my knee and the skin just below my right thumb came off a bit due to the friction happening in swordplay. I can live with that.








After class, sensei sent me to have my samurai attired made. I was delighted! Sounds like he accepted me as his disciple all right. Well, one has to prove one's determination in studying this, you know. And I think he can feel it when he engaged in the free-hand sparring with me. He knows I'm here to improve on myself, my personality, my attitude about life, etc. I'm here for the Bushido, not the sword-fighting. I treasure and respect the Zen Meditation part of it and I think he felt that I put in my best effort in the meditation as well, not just the sword moves.

Sensei sent me to meet a Japanese lady named Yumiko who has her litle tailor shop tucked away in a house in Ratchadapisek area. It's a simple house decorated inside with tatami mats and simple ancient, wooden Japanese tailor-shop decoration. The garden also has a little pond and there was a hen, a dog and a fat white duck walking around. I fell in love with the cute duck at first sight. It can even wag its tail like a dog!

When measuring me in the samurai attire at her place, Yumiko made me feel like I was living out the scene from The Last Samurai when the lady was dressing up the samurai. It was special, to say the least!

Yesterday was a full day for me and I was totally exhausted. Now I'm eagerly looking forward to my next class, which is tomorrow! Priew magazine is also going to interview me and take photos there. Oh, if I could be just 10 kilos lighter! :-P



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?