Tuesday, January 11, 2005
Japan & Buddhism
I'm now struggling half way into Chapter 2 of the book I started to review a few blogs earlier. Bear with me, minna-san. You are allowed to fall asleep as you read my blog! :-P
While Chapter 1 deals about Shinto values and its influence throughout Japanese history, Chapter 2 discussess Buddhism and its contribution to the numerous aspects of a Japanese life.
In addition to its influence on the people's way of thinking and living like the way Shinto value has, Buddhism also penetrates other areas such as arts and culture. Its influence remains today in all the subtle form of expression of simplicity in arts which emphasizes on the harmony with nature.
Photo courtesy of www.webshots.com 
The spirit of Zen Buddhism can be found in all traditional artistic expression such as the Noh play, the Tea Ceremony and the Way of the Swords by the Samurais.
More about this to follow once I manage to struggle more through the chapter. Sigh...at the rate I am going, I doubt whether I'll make my self-imposed deadline of Jan 21! :-p


