For roman characters' lyrics of "Subaru", go to my previous post here

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Destiny Part II 運命

あなたは運命を信じる?

Not so long ago I just posted about destiny.

Little did I knew one of the biggest yet pleasant surprised was well on its way. And if it was not destiny, I wonder what it was.

After I got into my Ph.D. program 2 years ago, selected the topic of my dissertation and somehow got myself a scholarship to Japan, then I stumbled upon one of my own family's previously unknown piece of information---my great-grandfather (the father of my paternal grandmother), Luang Charoon Jotikasthira--was actually once a Lt. Col. in the Royal Thai Army who was sent to Japan by His Majesty the King Rama the VII to study.

Judging from the period, his rank and the intention of the Royal Army at that time, definitely one of the things he had to understand well was what I am trying to study now--Bushido. 武士道

It just happened that my mother slipped it out not long ago that, among the following generations, I am the only one that followed his footstep to study anything relating to Japan. Then I asked, who? What?

Then and only then I got to learn that I do have an ancestor that went to study in Japan. But it did not occur to me then to ask where in Japan he went or what he studied. But my curiosity suddenly grew very strongly lately for no apparent reason. So I started asking around and searching the net. Nobody could answer me at first and I was very disappointed. They said only my grandmother would know.

It was to be months afterwards until I got a proper chance to ask my grandmother and found out. I was totally stunned at first. I was speechless. Goosebumped, I quietly hanged up the phone. My head was spinning. The chance was very minimal indeed that someone four generations apart would happen to follow so similar a fate without knowing about each other.

I could only guess my great grandfather was very intrigued by the Japanese success during that time by the win of the Russo-Japanese war and perhaps the Sino-Japanese war as well. The WWII hasn't started yet. He must have shown interest by their unsurpassable discipline, strategy, mindfulness and I don't know what else. Whatever it was, I think he also must have shown enough guts that H.M. decided to send him there to study.

I don't think I could say I follow exactly his path. For my study is more in the subtle shadow of Bushido--the mindfulness element in it. I was not inspired by war or believe that war could be the solution to any problem. But intrigued I was of Bushido all right. And I guess I have shown enough guts that I was granted a schorlarship,too.

Almost a hundred years apart, from great-grandfather to great-grandchild. The torch was passed silently. I guess this is why I always felt the inexplicable pull of Japan throughout my life. It has always been so mystic, so inviting, but yet I don't know why so. It's just like another piece of jigsaw puzzle has fallen into place. Now I start to see a bigger picture. Now I know. It has been in the blood. Japan has called.

Some friends of mine even say one step further to suggest that I might even be my own great-grandfather reincarnated to continue to study he might have left unfinished or unfulfilled due to the War or whatever. I prefer not to think that far. I still want to think about him as my great-grandfather and revere him as such. From what I heard from my grandmother, he was a smart man. I feel so proud of him and excited to get to know him more, the great-grandfather that I never knew.

So, what can I say. It does feel even better to do my Ph.D. now on this topic to the best of my ability for yet another purpose. Well, I admit it may be a very personal purpose. But I am still a human being after all. It feels nice to have a close tie with my ancestor. So, great-grandpa, this one's for you! Gambarimasu! I hope you will be up there somedwhere in heaven, looking down at me, smiling. :) You know I will try my best to make you proud of me, and to bring the best of Bushido out for the benefit of the society at large.

With Love and Respect,

Your Great-Grandchild Who Is Now Bonded With You By Destiny
Posted by Picasa

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?